Working in and running a butcher's shop, butchery department or meat processing plant.
3 (equivalent to A levels at grades A to E)
- Typical length
- 22 months
- Current funding band
Up to £12,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
- What apprentices will learn
- precision meat cutting and presentation for commercial and domestic customers
- health and safety practices, and food safety and hygiene systems to management level
- knowledge of meat and poultry, its selection and provenance
- processing techniques
- artisan practices and preparation of wet and dry meat, including curing, smoking and making pies and sausages
- business profitability and how to maximise productivity, efficiency and customer care
- merchandising and labelling
- specialist skills: retail shop, processing plant or in-store supermarket butchery
- level 3 award in food safety supervision for manufacturing (Qualification and Credits Framework (QCF))
- level 3 award in hazard analysis and critical control points (HACCP) for food manufacturing (QCF)
- level 3 award in health and safety in the food supply chain business (QCF)
Before taking their end-point assessment apprentices must:
- achieve level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Professional registration
Apprentices will be automatically entitled to full membership of the Institute of Meat.
- End Point Assessment
- More Information
The Institute for Apprenticeships has more detailed information about this apprenticeship.