Non-destructive testing (NDT) operator
Inspecting components, materials, welds and other items within manufacturing processes.
2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Typical length
- 18 months
- Current funding band
Up to £12,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
- What apprentices will learn
- NDT principles - including inspection methods, material and product technology, 'risk to life', acceptance and testing criteria, standards and standard operations and processes
- NDT practices - including defect, external and visual assessments, confirming results, recording findings and inspection escalations, follow-ups and referrals
- time management - including working consistently to a timely completion using a disciplined approach
- team working - including working under technical supervision and supporting others where appropriate
- health and safety regulations and legislation within a NDT environment - including working at height, in confined spaces and in restricted zones
Before taking their end-point assessment apprentices must:
- achieve level 1 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades D to G)
- take the test for level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Professional registration