Highway electrical maintenance and installation operative
Installing and servicing electrical support structures, equipment and systems on roads and motorways.
2 (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Typical length
- 24 months
- Current funding band
Up to £9,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
Candidates will usually have GCSEs in English and maths at grade D to G (or equivalent).
- What apprentices will learn
- highways operational practices - including first line emergency attendance, hazard identification, installing and maintaining equipment and site specific risk assessments
- planning, preparing and organising works - including identifying work and requirements and identifying plant, equipment, tool and material requirements
- working with electrical structures and equipment - including poles and posts and safety cameras, street lighting and traffic signals
- team working - including effective communication through written and verbal skills, taking responsibility and working in a positive and constructive way
- specialist highway electrical equipment and system, installation, maintenance or emergency attendance skills
- health and safety practices and legislation within a highways environment - including the Highway Electrical Registration Scheme (HERS) requirements
- level 2 certificate in highway electrical work
- level 2 NVQ certificate or diploma in highway electrical systems
Apprentices will complete their work in line with industry and employer health, safety and environmental procedures including:
- completing the Electrotechnical Certification Scheme (ECS) highway electrical version health and safety test
- fulfilling the HERS requirements so they can be issued with an ECS card
Before taking their end-point assessment apprentices must:
- achieve level 1 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades D to G)
- take the test for level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C)
- Professional registration
On completing their apprenticeship, apprentices will be registered as an associate with the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).