Product design and development engineer
Using engineering techniques to bring new products to life or redesign existing products.
6 (equivalent to bachelor's degree)
- Typical length
- 60 months
- Current funding band
Up to £27,000 per apprentice.
More information about funding
- Entry requirements
Set by employer.
Candidates will usually have:
- 5 GCSEs at grade C or above (or equivalent) including maths, English and a science, technology or engineering related subject
- A levels at grade C or above in a maths-based subject and a science, technology, engineering or another maths-related subject (or 90+ credits in an engineering BTEC at level 3)
An apprenticeship as a product design and development technician also provides a potential preparation route for this standard.
- What apprentices will learn
- Interpreting, evaluating and using engineering data
- producing parts using hand fitting techniques and producing mechanical assemblies
- producing electrical or electronic drawings using a computer aided design (CAD) system
- using general and specialist equipment, including mechanical, electrical and electronic devices and equipment
- managing and controlling product design change
- engineering project management
- creating design briefs, presenting and discussing technical proposals
- academic knowledge from an engineering degree
Apprentices will achieve a BSc (Hons) or BEng (Hons) in Engineering.
Before taking their end-point assessment, apprentices must achieve level 2 English and maths (equivalent to GCSEs at grades A* to C).
- Professional registration
The apprenticeship has been designed to meet the professional standards of the Engineering Council (EngC) for initial registration as an engineering technician (Eng Tech) in partnership with the Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE).
- End Point Assessment
There are no end point assessment organisations for this standard yet. There is a monthly application process for organisations interested in delivering end-point assessment. New organisations are added regularly.
If you have an urgent need to select an assessment organisation for this standard, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with details.